def

I was made to be wide-eyed all the days of my life.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Psalms: 27 | Safe


OLOVETHATWILLNOTLETMEGO


Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
Shall tribulation,
or distress,
or persecution,
or famine,
or nakedness,
or danger,
or sword?
As it is written,
“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No,
in all these things
we are
more
than conquerors through him who loved us.
For I am
sure
that neither death nor life,
nor angels nor rulers,
nor things present
nor things to come,
nor powers,
nor height nor depth,
nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to
separate
us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(Romans 8:35-39 ESV)


__________________________________________________________


For he will hide me in his shelter
in the day of trouble
(Psalm 27:5 ESV)



Safe
Paul David Tripp

I am safe,
not because I have no
trouble,
or because I never experience
danger.
I am safe,
not because people
affirm me,
or my plans always
work out.
I am safe,
not because I am immune from
disease,
or free of the potential for
poverty.
I am safe,
not because I am protected from disappointment,
or separated form this
fallen world.
I am safe,
not because I am
wise
or strong.
I am safe,
not because I deserve
comfort or have earned my
ease.
I am safe,
not because of
money
or power,
or position,
or intellect,
or who I know,
or where I live.
I am safe because of the glorious mystery of
grace.
I am safe because of the presence of
boundless love.
I am safe because of
divine mercy,
divine wisdom,
divine power,
and divine grace.
I am safe,
not because I never face
danger
but because You are 
with me in it. 
You have not given me
a ticket out of danger.
You have not promised me
a life of ease.
You have chosen to place me in
a fallen world.
I am safe
because you have given me
the one thing
that is the
only thing
that will ever keep me safe.
You have given me
You.

I am safe from my evil heart and this shattered world,
not because I can escape
them both,
but because in the middle of
temptation and trial,
danger and disappointment,
sickness and want,
You give me everything
I need to
fight temptation
and avoid defeat
and point others
to the safety
that can be found only in You.

So I will wake up tomorrow
and face the anxiety
of not knowing
the fear of my own weakness,
and the reality of the fall
I will live with
faith
courage
perseverance,
and hope.
An when danger comes,
and it will
I will whisper to
my weakenng heart,
"Emmanuel is your shelter;
you are safe."

1 comment: