def

I was made to be wide-eyed all the days of my life.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

March 31st

Hello. Its been a while. So, I do believe its time for me to make an obvious statement, because I am so good at them. Ahhhhem, here we go:
                                                     A lot can happen in a month, specifically March.



A lot. Like shooting and editing and then packing.
And going to the World Changers Summit and packing some more.
Like getting sick and then doing my taxes.
And taking my sister out for an ice cream cone.

Like attending showers and parties and reading books and blogs and then packing some more. Fitting 3 months of clothes in one checked bag and a carry on.  A lot can happen in a month, like booking wedding and figuring out H264 codec and MXF files. Like celebrating life with my family and then leaving them on a plane, to move out to Oregon for a while.
Yeah see?  I told you. A lot can happen in a month. 

So, I moved out to Portland, well actually, Sandy, Oregon. To help a friend's family out while preparing for a wedding and a whole ton of other stuff. Its great. Last weekend, Elizabeth Knopp, Madey Edlin and I drove out to the beach to hunt for some pussy willows and just look at the ocean for a while.



Well, thats what I wanted to do, at least. I am still getting used to it. The ocean that is. My Pacific friend.
This was only my third time seeing in it in my whole life. The ocean is one of those majestic things in life that I dont want to just get used to. Its glorious. The waves that just keep on coming, over and over, never tiring.  And the smell of the Sky meeting the Earth way out on the horizon. The interesting  treasures and sorta dried out things that wash up when the tide is low.

I dont want to just "get used to" the jelly fish as clear as glass laying on the sand, resemling a rain drop from the sky that never broke open. I don't want to just get used to that tiny sliver glow of a lemon sun, right before it drops into the ocean, into tomorrow. I want to always be blown away by the small details, because, I'm learning that all big things (planets, ideas, people, cultures, songs, photos) are made out of little things, (rocks, statements, familes, towns, words, pixels).

So. With this in mind, I decided to scribe. A letter to Mr. Pacific, who ever he may be. I told him what I thought about the ocean and a little what I thought about the concept of upside down. Of Big and Little.
Then I stuck it in a rasberry Izzie bottle, screwed the red top on tight and released it to the ocean.




I wrote my address on it so that when Mr. Pacific get the message, he can mail me back his poetry and prose about the great open water, or how life is on the ship. Or, perhaps it will float back to land, and some unsuspecting soul will have a worn bottle brush their feet while flying a kite on a windy Oregon day. They will probaby write about the Wind. If I flew a kite, I would write about the wind and how its a little like life. But who knows? Maybe they will too.




All in all, it was a good idea, a good plan, and a darn good letter if I do say so myself. Below is the video of my thowing it out to the ocean. I never thought Mr. Pacific could be a dog.


-L

2 comments:

  1. I died laughing when I saw the dog retrieve your bottle. So much for the romance of unknown lovers, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hilarious! Dogs have such a gorgeous way of doing that sort of thing. Until that point I was thinking, "Hmmm, may be I'll find the bottle one day!"

    I grew up beside the Pacific Ocean [the east coast of New Zealand] and I have never, ever got used to the wonder that is the ocean.

    ReplyDelete