def

I was made to be wide-eyed all the days of my life.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hiking Pike's Peak



So, here's another Colorado Story.

A few weeks back, in the end fringes of the month of September, I had the chance to hike the backside of Pike's Peak with the students at Summit. At 14,115, feet it's one of Colorado's 54 fourteeners, and it remains my first (and only, for right now) fourteener to hike. The day started early and was absolutely perfect for the 6 mile hike to the top from our starting base at the Mennonite Camp. I hiked the backside last year, and it's amazing what a 2nd time 'round perspective will let you see.

 I saw the switchbacks differently because I knew the terrain better.
 I had a different feeling towards to route to devil's playground, because I knew a reprieve came afterward.
I saw the big, obtuse obstacles near the summit as a joy, instead of curse, for rest remained at the top, just within reach.
It was a good hike, and I'm sure I was reminded at least once or twice of Moses as he climbed a mountain and met God.

Hiking the Back Side of Pike's Peak
Pikes Peak Cog Railway

COGBLOG77
Stephen (photo cred), Andrew and I held silent moment, missing Micah via his buttery scones.
 (Confession: They got a little moldy in the mail. Sorry, M.)
COGBLOG70
Jen and Laura on Pike's Peak


Now fast forward a few weeks. Add a brother, a sister and her boyfriend who have yet to see what life could be like at 14,000 feet.
Mix into the tale another perfect day, a red train and way to the top of Pike's Peak that is less, shall we say, grueling.
Cody and Ben came out to join us on a long road trip home, but not before heading over to the Pike's Peak Cog Railway to, you know, take a train up that mountain.
As I've said before, and will say again
                                        "There is something magical about trains."
There's also something really fun about becoming a tourist for a day and seeing something with a different view. And so we did.


Pike's Peak Cog Railway Station
Pikes Peak Cog Railroad Station
COGBLOG (9)
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railroad Adventure
Pikes Peak Cog Railroad Couple
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railroad
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Tree
Pikes Peak Cog Railroad
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Apparently, I'm still the best ever at taking the worst ever self portraits.

Pikes Peak Cog Railroad
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
At the Top of Pikes Peak Cog Railroad
Pikes Peak Cog Railway

Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Ben recently moved home from Kappa, Hawaii, and was feeling the sub-degree weather at the top. I guess it hasn't snowed in Hawaii for a while.


Pikes Peak Pose
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
It was cold, actually. Really cold. I forgot how much flats don't work in snow.


 But, oh. The view.
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railway

Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Pikes Peak Cog Railway

And the classic pose. I guess this isn't the normal tourist behavior. At least, that's what the girl at the top from  Norway said.
Pikes Peak Cog Railway


All in all, it was a mountain adventure worth remembering, and I think we will.
If you haven't already, please add "Take a train" to your bucket list, plan a trip and go.
Go with the ones you love.

Pikes Peak Cog Railway

2 comments:

  1. really like this. and the last picture made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the description of the climb, been there, done that, and it is hard!! Love the pics !

    ReplyDelete