def

I was made to be wide-eyed all the days of my life.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

As Kingfishers Catch Fire, Gerard Hopkins



As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame;
     As tumbled over rim in roundy wells
     Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell’s
Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad it’s name;
Each mortal thing does one thing and the same;
     Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;
     Selves – Goes itself; myself  it speaks and spells, 
Crying What I do is me: for that I came.

I say more: the just man justices;
     Keeps grace: that keeps all his goings graces;
Acts in God’s eye what in God’s eye he is -
     Christ. For Christ plays in ten thousand places,
Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his
     To the Father through the features of men’s faces.





No comments:

Post a Comment