def

I was made to be wide-eyed all the days of my life.

Monday, October 12, 2009

One of October's many unsettled prayers

 A friend bought me a book by a Monk named Thomas Merton. I've been reading it everyone in a while.You know, the days that are especially grey. They seem to be coming more often than not.

The way You have laid open before me is an easy way,
compared with the hard way of my own will which leads back to Egypt and to bricks without straw.
If you allow people to praise me, I shall not worry. If you let them blame me, I shall worry even less. If you send me work, I shall embrace it with joy. It will be rest to me because it is Your will. If You send rest, I will rest in You.

Only save me from myself. Save me from my own, private poisonous urge to change everything, to act without reason, to move for movement's sake, to unsettle everything that You have ordained.

Let me rest in Your will and be silent. Then the light of Your joy will warm my life. Its fire will burn in my heart and shine for your glory. This is what I live for. Amen, amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment